What is involved in IT Infrastructure
Find out what the related areas are that IT Infrastructure connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a IT Infrastructure thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its IT Infrastructure Utility IU journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward IT Infrastructure Utility IU leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which IT Infrastructure related domains to cover and 138 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
IT Infrastructure, Cloud computing, Computer hardware, Computer network, Converged infrastructure, Dynamic infrastructure, Hyper-converged infrastructure, IT management, IT service management, Information infrastructure, Information technology, Infrastructure, Infrastructure as Code, Infrastructure as a service, McGraw-Hill, Networking hardware, Software, Software-defined infrastructure:
IT Infrastructure Critical Criteria:
Depict IT Infrastructure engagements and track iterative IT Infrastructure results.
– Can we achieve even more efficient utilization of software and hardware within mission systems and IT infrastructure investments?
– What IT infrastructure do we have and what do we need to support the future organization needs?
– In which area(s) do data integration and BI, as part of Fusion Middleware, help our IT infrastructure?
– How to get alignment between business strategy and IT infrastructure?
– Have all basic functions of IT Infrastructure been defined?
– Are we Assessing IT Infrastructure and Risk?
– How can we improve IT Infrastructure?
Cloud computing Critical Criteria:
Investigate Cloud computing visions and transcribe Cloud computing as tomorrows backbone for success.
– The lack of research tools is unfortunate given that even the most fundamental questions are still unanswered: what is the right distributed architecture for a cloudcomputing system?
– What may be the consequences for the performance of an organization if all stakeholders are not consulted regarding IT Infrastructure?
– Have you considered that metrics collection, and system performance and security monitoring are more difficult in the cloud?
– How will technology advancements in soa, virtualization and cloud computing further enable saas adoption?
– What are the key business and technical challenges of transitioning to a cloud computing strategy?
– Do we require that confidential information in the cloud be stored within the united states?
– What is the future scope for combination of Business Intelligence and Cloud Computing?
– What makes cloud computing well suited for supply chain management applications?
– How can cloud stakeholders ensure and promote the security of Cloud computing?
– What are the ways in which cloud computing and big data can work together?
– Fog computing : will it be the future of cloud computing ?
– What are the usability issues around cloud computing?
– What are the security concerns with cloud computing?
– What is the impact of hybrid cloud computing on i&o?
– What will cloud computing look like in 5 years?
– What problems does cloud computing solve?
– How energy efficient is cloud computing?
– How do I estimate cloud computing costs?
– How not to be locked in a SaaS system?
– Will database virtualization take off?
Computer hardware Critical Criteria:
Brainstorm over Computer hardware results and devise Computer hardware key steps.
– Who is the main stakeholder, with ultimate responsibility for driving IT Infrastructure forward?
– Will IT Infrastructure deliverables need to be tested and, if so, by whom?
Computer network Critical Criteria:
Define Computer network governance and don’t overlook the obvious.
– Is the illegal entry into a private computer network a crime in your country?
– Have the types of risks that may impact IT Infrastructure been identified and analyzed?
– Who sets the IT Infrastructure standards?
– How do we keep improving IT Infrastructure?
Converged infrastructure Critical Criteria:
Mix Converged infrastructure decisions and frame using storytelling to create more compelling Converged infrastructure projects.
– Can we add value to the current IT Infrastructure decision-making process (largely qualitative) by incorporating uncertainty modeling (more quantitative)?
– What management system can we use to leverage the IT Infrastructure experience, ideas, and concerns of the people closest to the work to be done?
Dynamic infrastructure Critical Criteria:
Examine Dynamic infrastructure risks and frame using storytelling to create more compelling Dynamic infrastructure projects.
– Does our organization need more IT Infrastructure education?
– What are the business goals IT Infrastructure is aiming to achieve?
– Are there recognized IT Infrastructure problems?
Hyper-converged infrastructure Critical Criteria:
Consolidate Hyper-converged infrastructure projects and look at the big picture.
– Are we making progress? and are we making progress as IT Infrastructure leaders?
– What tools and technologies are needed for a custom IT Infrastructure project?
– Do you monitor the effectiveness of your IT Infrastructure activities?
IT management Critical Criteria:
Grasp IT management tasks and test out new things.
– Have we adopted and promoted the companys culture of integrity management, including ethics, business practices and Human Resources evaluations?
– Do the functional areas need business process integration (e.g., order entl. billing, or Customer Service)?
– What information does Configuration Management provide to the it management of an organization?
– What are our needs in relation to IT Infrastructure skills, labor, equipment, and markets?
– What are the short and long-term IT Infrastructure goals?
– Are there On-premise it management tools?
– Is IT Infrastructure Required?
IT service management Critical Criteria:
Detail IT service management strategies and look for lots of ideas.
– If we could not clearly quantify where the benefits were, we would then start getting lots of questions: why are you doing it because we could be spending the money elsewhere?
– Why do many organizations stumble or fail in their initial attempts at implementing itsm practices, and why wont we?
– What are our key differences between ITAM IT asset management and ITSM IT service management?
– What are the use cases that your organization is targeting currently for its cmdb/cms?
– Its worth asking the question: why are business sponsors for it projects so important?
– What does each software asset cost now and throughout the upgrade or refresh cycles?
– What should be easier after implementing a good IT Service Management software tool?
– What are the best practices in knowledge management for IT Service management ITSM?
– What does each software asset cost now and throughout the upgrade/refresh cycles?
– What element of the it Service Management lifecycle are you currently focused on?
– Do changes in business processes fall under the scope of Change Management?
– How does mobility improve your organizations service desk effectiveness?
– Are you thinking about implementing ITIL standards based tools?
– What best practices are relevant to your itsm initiative?
– How many employees are in your company worldwide?
– Do you have a growing list of overdue incidents?
– What is the scope of certification?
– Required Metrics Defined?
Information infrastructure Critical Criteria:
Nurse Information infrastructure issues and reinforce and communicate particularly sensitive Information infrastructure decisions.
– Does IT Infrastructure include applications and information with regulatory compliance significance (or other contractual conditions that must be formally complied with) in a new or unique manner for which no approved security requirements, templates or design models exist?
– Does the information infrastructure convert raw data into more meaningful, relevant information to create knowledgeable and wise decisions that assists personnel in carrying out their enterprise Risk Management and other responsibilities?
– What are the disruptive IT Infrastructure technologies that enable our organization to radically change our business processes?
– Why is it important to have senior management support for a IT Infrastructure project?
Information technology Critical Criteria:
Examine Information technology issues and do something to it.
– At what point will vulnerability assessments be performed once IT Infrastructure is put into production (e.g., ongoing Risk Management after implementation)?
– Does your company have defined information technology risk performance metrics that are monitored and reported to management on a regular basis?
– Do the response plans address damage assessment, site restoration, payroll, Human Resources, information technology, and administrative support?
– If a survey was done with asking organizations; Is there a line between your information technology department and your information security department?
– Who will be responsible for making the decisions to include or exclude requested changes once IT Infrastructure is underway?
– Among the IT Infrastructure product and service cost to be estimated, which is considered hardest to estimate?
– How does new information technology come to be applied and diffused among firms?
– The difference between data/information and information technology (it)?
– When do you ask for help from Information Technology (IT)?
Infrastructure Critical Criteria:
Coach on Infrastructure outcomes and point out Infrastructure tensions in leadership.
– The slower data transfer rate between a compute cluster and a storage array has been adversely impacting multiple cloud services. which Service Management process helps to mitigate this impact?
– In a virtualized data center, guest operating system kernels were modified to eliminate the need for binary translation. which compute virtualization technique was used?
– Does the software let users work with the existing data infrastructure already in place, freeing your IT team from creating more cubes, universes, and standalone marts?
– Do you have a documented process for quickly adding and removing individuals from the authorized access list (hence terminating access to data)?
– Do you track when individuals who are authorized to access the data leave johns hopkins yet are still authorized to access data?
– Which data center management activity involves eliminating single points of failure to ensure business continuity?
– What are primary considerations related to performance when migrating operations to the cloud?
– Are you buying into a cloud architecture/infrastructure/ service which is not compliant?
– what is the difference between an application service and an infrastructure service?
– Does the cloud provide all of the infrastructure building blocks we require?
– What is determined during the compliance assessment for cloud adoption?
– What can be backed up if a backup agent is installed on a vm?
– What is updated when attributes of a cloud service change?
– Which technology enables configuring virtual hbas?
– What is a feature of dns server load balancing?
– Which raid type uses a dedicated parity disk?
– , Why virtual desktop at ccri ?
– What is a benefit of a vlan?
– Why is it coming here?
Infrastructure as Code Critical Criteria:
Illustrate Infrastructure as Code quality and maintain Infrastructure as Code for success.
– For your IT Infrastructure project, identify and describe the business environment. is there more than one layer to the business environment?
– Can we do IT Infrastructure without complex (expensive) analysis?
– Why is IT Infrastructure important for you now?
Infrastructure as a service Critical Criteria:
Guard Infrastructure as a service issues and tour deciding if Infrastructure as a service progress is made.
– How will you know that the IT Infrastructure project has been successful?
– Does IT Infrastructure appropriately measure and monitor risk?
McGraw-Hill Critical Criteria:
Confer over McGraw-Hill outcomes and triple focus on important concepts of McGraw-Hill relationship management.
– What are your most important goals for the strategic IT Infrastructure objectives?
– What are the long-term IT Infrastructure goals?
Networking hardware Critical Criteria:
Contribute to Networking hardware adoptions and report on the economics of relationships managing Networking hardware and constraints.
– What are the success criteria that will indicate that IT Infrastructure objectives have been met and the benefits delivered?
– Do the IT Infrastructure decisions we make today help people and the planet tomorrow?
– Which individuals, teams or departments will be involved in IT Infrastructure?
Software Critical Criteria:
Discuss Software projects and get answers.
– Vrm programs run the gamut from the collection of a few documents to advanced Risk Management software tools. what is appropriate for our organization?
– Does the software provide fast query performance, either via its own fast in-memory software or by directly connecting to fast data stores?
– Is software Quality Assurance done by an independently reporting agency representing the interests of the eventual user?
– Is your company licensed to move your third-party software used in the candidate application into the cloud?
– Can we answer questions like: Are all identified requirements allocated to software components?
– Is the software compatible with new database formats for raw, unstructured, and semi-structured big data?
– Can agile project management be adopted by industries other than software development?
– How do you manage the new access devices using their own new application software?
– Do we ask in the sprint retrospective: What went well during the sprint?
– So what do your developers do differently in agile?
– Better, and cheaper than software engineering?
– What software do I have and why do we have it?
– Does the software utilize a responsive design?
– How does cost of change affect software?
– Why software Configuration Management ?
– Any impediments/stumbling blocks?
– What is our Agile methodology?
– What makes agile better?
Software-defined infrastructure Critical Criteria:
Adapt Software-defined infrastructure governance and raise human resource and employment practices for Software-defined infrastructure.
– Does IT Infrastructure create potential expectations in other areas that need to be recognized and considered?
– Does IT Infrastructure systematically track and analyze outcomes for accountability and quality improvement?
– How do we make it meaningful in connecting IT Infrastructure with what users do day-to-day?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the IT Infrastructure Utility IU Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
IT Infrastructure External links:
IBM – IT Infrastructure – Servers and Storage
Nagios – The Industry Standard In IT Infrastructure Monitoring
What is IT Infrastructure? – Definition from Techopedia
Cloud computing External links:
AWS Cloud Computing Certification Program – …
Microsoft Azure Cloud Computing Platform & Services
REAN Cloud – Managed Services | Cloud Computing | DevOps
Computer hardware External links:
Computer Hardware Inc – Official Site
Computer Hardware, Software, Technology Solutions | Insight
Computer network External links:
Technical Support | Computer Repair | Computer Network
Remote services, computer network, PC Health Check – …
How to find my computer network name – Mil Incorporated
Converged infrastructure External links:
FlexPod | Converged Infrastructure from Cisco & NetApp
Converged Infrastructure Solutions | KeyInfo | IBM i | iSeries
Dynamic infrastructure External links:
Cloud monitoring for dynamic infrastructure by New Relic
What is DYNAMIC INFRASTRUCTURE? What does …
[PDF]Dynamic Infrastructure Management – RtVision
Hyper-converged infrastructure External links:
Hyper-converged Infrastructure – Proxmox VE
IT management External links:
IT Management Software Solutions | Ivanti
IT Management Software & Monitoring Tools | SolarWinds
ControlNow: IT management on one simple web-based …
IT service management External links:
IT Service Management | Availability Management | Optanix
NTT DATA IT Service Management – Login – Dell
Masters in IT Service Management | JJR Solutions, LLC
Information infrastructure External links:
Financial and Banking Information Infrastructure Committee
Internal Information Infrastructure – Department Directory
Information infrastructure – SourceWatch
Information technology External links:
Information Technology (IT) Industry & Association | CompTIA
Rebelmail | UNLV Office of Information Technology (OIT)
Umail | University Information Technology Services
Infrastructure External links:
Community Infrastructure Consultants | WK Dickson
Stonepeak Infrastructure Partners
Infrastructure as Code External links:
[PDF]Infrastructure as Code whitepaper – d0.awsstatic.com
What is Infrastructure as Code? | DevOps – Visual Studio
Infrastructure as code – the foundation for DevOps | Puppet
Infrastructure as a service External links:
What is IaaS? Infrastructure as a Service | Microsoft Azure
Cloud Computing and Data Center Infrastructure as a Service
McGraw-Hill External links:
eBookstore – McGraw-Hill Education
McGraw-Hill Education – Official Site
McGraw-Hill Federal Credit Union – Home
Networking hardware External links:
Rhino Networks – Meraki Networking Hardware
Networking Hardware | Routers, Hubs, Parts
Summit Information Resources – Networking Hardware and …
Software-defined infrastructure External links:
Re-Store – Software-Defined Infrastructure