What is involved in Service desk
Find out what the related areas are that Service desk connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Service desk thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its IT Service Desk journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward IT Service Desk leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Service desk related domains to cover and 150 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Service desk, IT service management, Axios Systems, Business Process Framework, Business process, Capability Maturity Model Integration, Configuration management database, Continual improvement process, Functional requirement, ISO/IEC 20000, ISO/IEC 27000, ISO 9000, IT Service Management Forum, Information Technology Infrastructure Library, Information security management, Information technology, Marval Software, Microsoft Operations Framework, Network and Service Management Taxonomy, Network management, Quality management, Software engineering, Systems management, United Kingdom, Workflow management system:
Service desk Critical Criteria:
Think about Service desk issues and finalize the present value of growth of Service desk.
– Will we be eligible for ISOIEC 20000 certification, even if our Service Desk, infrastructure management and applications management functions are located in different countries?
– Why is Customer Service and helpdesks so undervalued given that this is a core part of branding and growth i e The head of the Service Desk is not a CxO level title?
– Does the service provider have a service desk function based on itil principles?
– How does mobility improve your organizations service desk effectiveness?
– Is the cloud service providers service desk local, onshore or offshore?
– Does Service desk analysis isolate the fundamental causes of problems?
– Are you running your service desk or is your service desk running you?
– How does mobility improve our organizations service desk effectiveness?
– Is the cloud service providers service desk local, onshore or offshore?
– Which incidents should be logged by the service desk?
– Why a service desk?
IT service management Critical Criteria:
Transcribe IT service management management and test out new things.
– So you have designed a great process, have invested in a slick itsm tool and paid your consultants for the best advice you could purchase. What makes you think anyone is actually going to follow the new processes after you close up the project and take down the posters?
– If we could not clearly quantify where the benefits were, we would then start getting lots of questions: why are you doing it because we could be spending the money elsewhere?
– While you can hire consultants to help alleviate the resource crunch for the project, who gets to run them after the consultants leave?
– Have you deployed, or are you looking to deploy, any application discovery and dependency mapping (ADDM) solutions?
– If the service provider is eligible for certification, then what is the scope of the processes being audited?
– How would you describe the impact of cloud vis-a-vis your itsm initiative/capabilities in your organization?
– How do you actually go about identifying, defining and then managing a set of services that make sense?
– What services are published in your organizations service catalog?
– Are you currently engaged in an it Service Management project?
– Why is it Service Management important to cloud providers?
– What metrics will be provided and are they relevant?
– Does anyone know the value of enterprise it?
– Which software markets will SaaS disrupt?
– What is meant by it Service Management?
– What do you see as your major ITSM challenge?
– Is ITIL becoming irrelevant?
Axios Systems Critical Criteria:
Transcribe Axios Systems adoptions and be persistent.
– Which Service desk goals are the most important?
Business Process Framework Critical Criteria:
Systematize Business Process Framework risks and find answers.
– Marketing budgets are tighter, consumers are more skeptical, and social media has changed forever the way we talk about Service desk. How do we gain traction?
– How do we manage Service desk Knowledge Management (KM)?
– Why should we adopt a Service desk framework?
Business process Critical Criteria:
Look at Business process failures and ask what if.
– Have the segments, goals and performance objectives been translated into an actionable and realistic target business and information architecture expressed within business functions, business processes, and information requirements?
– To what extent will this product open up for subsequent add-on products, e.g. business process outsourcing services built on top of a program-as-a-service offering?
– Has business process Cybersecurity has been included in continuity of operations plans for areas such as customer data, billing, etc.?
– What are the disruptive Service desk technologies that enable our organization to radically change our business processes?
– Do you design data protection and privacy requirements into the development of your business processes and new systems?
– What finance, procurement and Human Resources business processes should be included in the scope of a erp solution?
– Do we have detailed information on the business process for refunds and charge backs if they are required?
– If we process purchase orders; what is the desired business process around supporting purchase orders?
– If we accept wire transfers what is the desired business process around supporting wire transfers?
– In what ways are Service desk vendors and us interacting to ensure safe and effective use?
– To satisfy customers and stakeholders, which internal business process must we excel in?
– How do clients contact client services with any questions about business processes?
– How do you inventory and assess business processes as part of an ERP evaluation?
– Will existing staff require re-training, for example, to learn new business processes?
– What core business processes drive our industry and channel today?
– How will business process and behavioral change be managed?
– Are there Service desk problems defined?
Capability Maturity Model Integration Critical Criteria:
Consider Capability Maturity Model Integration leadership and attract Capability Maturity Model Integration skills.
– What are your results for key measures or indicators of the accomplishment of your Service desk strategy and action plans, including building and strengthening core competencies?
– Meeting the challenge: are missed Service desk opportunities costing us money?
– What potential environmental factors impact the Service desk effort?
Configuration management database Critical Criteria:
Value Configuration management database leadership and find the ideas you already have.
– A virtual local area network (vlan) is a physical grouping of network devices within a larger network. true or false?
– The words delta, full and package describe different types of release. Which ones do we use when?
– What would you like the cmdb to do for you -how would they like it to change your life?
– Are work control packages complete, ready for implementation, and attached?
– When: when do you start to place entities under configuration control?
– Which data is least likely to be used in the incident control process?
– How is access to the Configuration Management status data controlled?
– In availability management terms, what do the letters cia stand for?
– Which is the correct combination of concepts and itil processes?
– Are the relationships between configuration items established?
– Which of the entities should be configuration items?
– Motivation: why software Configuration Management?
– Do the benefits of the change warrant the costs?
– Was the technical review adequately performed?
– What should be under configuration control?
– How do I find the information that I need?
– Are all other required reviews complete?
– Why is application sizing important?
Continual improvement process Critical Criteria:
Collaborate on Continual improvement process results and observe effective Continual improvement process.
– Risk factors: what are the characteristics of Service desk that make it risky?
– How do we go about Comparing Service desk approaches/solutions?
– What is our formula for success in Service desk ?
Functional requirement Critical Criteria:
Examine Functional requirement decisions and arbitrate Functional requirement techniques that enhance teamwork and productivity.
– Many teams will find that informal modeling sessions around whiteboards will be sufficient, although sometimes more formal modeling sessions, such as Joint Application Design (JAD) strategies or stakeholder interviews will work best. How will nonfunctional requirements pertaining to availability, security, performance, and many other factors be addressed?
– What are your key performance measures or indicators and in-process measures for the control and improvement of your Service desk processes?
– How will nonfunctional requirements pertaining to availability, security, performance, and many other factors be addressed?
– Does the current environment support the business and functional requirements?
– Does the current environment support the business and functional requirements?
– Is a Service desk Team Work effort in place?
ISO/IEC 20000 Critical Criteria:
Recall ISO/IEC 20000 leadership and oversee ISO/IEC 20000 management by competencies.
– Do the Service desk decisions we make today help people and the planet tomorrow?
– Will we be eligible for ISO/IEC 20000 certification?
– How can the value of Service desk be defined?
– What are current Service desk Paradigms?
ISO/IEC 27000 Critical Criteria:
Mix ISO/IEC 27000 planning and remodel and develop an effective ISO/IEC 27000 strategy.
– What is the source of the strategies for Service desk strengthening and reform?
– What are the long-term Service desk goals?
– Why are Service desk skills important?
ISO 9000 Critical Criteria:
Extrapolate ISO 9000 adoptions and report on the economics of relationships managing ISO 9000 and constraints.
– What process management and improvement tools are we using PDSA/PDCA, ISO 9000, Lean, Balanced Scorecard, Six Sigma, something else?
– Do not ISO 9000 and CMM certifications loose their meaning when applied to the software industry?
– How do we Identify specific Service desk investment and emerging trends?
– What are the barriers to increased Service desk production?
IT Service Management Forum Critical Criteria:
Add value to IT Service Management Forum issues and point out improvements in IT Service Management Forum.
– Think about the people you identified for your Service desk project and the project responsibilities you would assign to them. what kind of training do you think they would need to perform these responsibilities effectively?
– Consider your own Service desk project. what types of organizational problems do you think might be causing or affecting your problem, based on the work done so far?
– Who is the main stakeholder, with ultimate responsibility for driving Service desk forward?
Information Technology Infrastructure Library Critical Criteria:
Powwow over Information Technology Infrastructure Library planning and define Information Technology Infrastructure Library competency-based leadership.
– Will Service desk have an impact on current business continuity, disaster recovery processes and/or infrastructure?
– Are we making progress? and are we making progress as Service desk leaders?
Information security management Critical Criteria:
Win new insights about Information security management visions and change contexts.
– Has the organization established an Identity and Access Management program that is consistent with requirements, policy, and applicable guidelines and which identifies users and network devices?
– Has the organization established an enterprise-wide business continuity/disaster recovery program that is consistent with requirements, policy, and applicable guidelines?
– What is the total cost related to deploying Service desk, including any consulting or professional services?
– Does Service desk create potential expectations in other areas that need to be recognized and considered?
– Is there a business continuity/disaster recovery plan in place?
– Are damage assessment and disaster recovery plans in place?
– Is Service desk Required?
Information technology Critical Criteria:
Learn from Information technology risks and track iterative Information technology results.
– Do the response plans address damage assessment, site restoration, payroll, Human Resources, information technology, and administrative support?
– Does your company have defined information technology risk performance metrics that are monitored and reported to management on a regular basis?
– If a survey was done with asking organizations; Is there a line between your information technology department and your information security department?
– Is there a Service desk Communication plan covering who needs to get what information when?
– How does new information technology come to be applied and diffused among firms?
– How will we insure seamless interoperability of Service desk moving forward?
– The difference between data/information and information technology (it)?
– When do you ask for help from Information Technology (IT)?
– Do we have past Service desk Successes?
Marval Software Critical Criteria:
Detail Marval Software failures and use obstacles to break out of ruts.
– How can skill-level changes improve Service desk?
Microsoft Operations Framework Critical Criteria:
Define Microsoft Operations Framework management and devise Microsoft Operations Framework key steps.
– Which customers cant participate in our Service desk domain because they lack skills, wealth, or convenient access to existing solutions?
– In a project to restructure Service desk outcomes, which stakeholders would you involve?
– How would one define Service desk leadership?
Network and Service Management Taxonomy Critical Criteria:
Frame Network and Service Management Taxonomy adoptions and oversee Network and Service Management Taxonomy requirements.
– Are there any easy-to-implement alternatives to Service desk? Sometimes other solutions are available that do not require the cost implications of a full-blown project?
– Think about the functions involved in your Service desk project. what processes flow from these functions?
Network management Critical Criteria:
Explore Network management failures and separate what are the business goals Network management is aiming to achieve.
– What knowledge, skills and characteristics mark a good Service desk project manager?
– What is our Service desk Strategy?
Quality management Critical Criteria:
Co-operate on Quality management failures and diversify by understanding risks and leveraging Quality management.
– Does Service desk appropriately measure and monitor risk?
– What is the future of Data Quality management?
– Quality management -are clients satisfied?
– How much does Service desk help?
– Are there Service desk Models?
Software engineering Critical Criteria:
Discourse Software engineering issues and balance specific methods for improving Software engineering results.
– DevOps isnt really a product. Its not something you can buy. DevOps is fundamentally about culture and about the quality of your application. And by quality I mean the specific software engineering term of quality, of different quality attributes. What matters to you?
– Do we cover the five essential competencies-Communication, Collaboration,Innovation, Adaptability, and Leadership that improve an organizations ability to leverage the new Service desk in a volatile global economy?
– Can we answer questions like: Was the software process followed and software engineering standards been properly applied?
– Is open source software development faster, better, and cheaper than software engineering?
– What are the usability implications of Service desk actions?
– Better, and cheaper than software engineering?
– What are our Service desk Processes?
Systems management Critical Criteria:
Derive from Systems management visions and track iterative Systems management results.
– How likely is the current Service desk plan to come in on schedule or on budget?
– What are the Essentials of Internal Service desk Management?
United Kingdom Critical Criteria:
Extrapolate United Kingdom outcomes and document what potential United Kingdom megatrends could make our business model obsolete.
– Are there any disadvantages to implementing Service desk? There might be some that are less obvious?
Workflow management system Critical Criteria:
Meet over Workflow management system projects and secure Workflow management system creativity.
– How do you incorporate cycle time, productivity, cost control, and other efficiency and effectiveness factors into these Service desk processes?
– What is the purpose of Service desk in relation to the mission?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the IT Service Desk Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Service desk External links:
CUNA Service Desk
IT Service Desk Live Chat
CA Service Desk Manager – Login
IT service management External links:
IT Service Management | Availability Management | Optanix
ServiceAide: ITSM Tools – IT Service Management …
Remedy 9 – IT Service Management Suite – BMC Software
Axios Systems External links:
Axios Systems – Google+
Axios Systems assyst Reviews | G2 Crowd
Is Axios Systems assyst a leader in Service Desk? Find authentic ratings based on verified user reviews and our patented ranking algorithm.
Business Process Framework External links:
Product Documentation for Business Process Framework
Business Process Framework (eTOM) – TM Forum
Business Process Frameworks | SpringerLink
Business process External links:
20 Best Title:(business Process Manager) jobs (Hiring …
Canon Business Process Services
[PDF]Business Process Guide Position Management : …
Capability Maturity Model Integration External links:
[PDF]Capability Maturity Model Integration (CMMI) Overview
Configuration management database External links:
Configuration Management Database (CMDB) in …
Functional requirement External links:
[DOC]FUNCTIONAL REQUIREMENTS DOCUMENT …
Functional Requirements Documents (FReD) for a …
[DOC]Functional Requirements Document – Maryland
ISO/IEC 20000 External links:
ISO/IEC 20000 is the first international standard for IT service management. It was developed in 2005, by ISO/IEC JTC1/SC7 and revised in 2011. It is based on and intended to supersede the earlier BS 15000 that was developed by BSI Group.
ISO/IEC 20000. (eBook, 2010) [WorldCat.org]
ISO/IEC 20000 – Guia de bolsillo. (eBook, 2006) …
ISO/IEC 27000 External links:
ISO/IEC 27000:2016 is FREE at last! – Google Groups
ISO/IEC 27000-series Flashcards | Quizlet
ISO 9000 External links:
List of Accredited Registrars, ISO 9000, ISO 14000, …
ISO 9000 – What Is ISO 9000? A Standards Series | ASQ
Benefits of ISO 9000 – Perry Johnson Registrars, Inc.
IT Service Management Forum External links:
IT Service Management Forum – Revolvy
update.revolvy.com/topic/IT Service Management Forum
[PDF]The IT Service Management Forum AT YOUR SERVICE
Information Technology Infrastructure Library External links:
[PDF]Information Technology Infrastructure Library – ITIL®
Information security management External links:
Information Security Management Provider – Sedara
[PDF]TITLE: INFORMATION SECURITY MANAGEMENT …
Federal Information Security Management Act – CSRC
Information technology External links:
OHIO: Office of Information Technology |About Email
Umail | University Information Technology Services
Rebelmail | UNLV Office of Information Technology (OIT)
Marval Software External links:
Marval Software · GitHub
4 Marval Software reviews. A free inside look at company reviews and salaries posted anonymously by employees.
Marval Software – Home | Facebook
Microsoft Operations Framework External links:
Exin MOFF.EN Microsoft Operations Framework …
What is Microsoft Operations Framework (MOF)? – …
Microsoft Operations Framework 4.0
Network and Service Management Taxonomy External links:
Network and Service Management Taxonomy – Simpleweb
Network and service management taxonomy – Revolvy
www.revolvy.com/topic/Network and service management taxonomy
Network management External links:
What is Network Management? Webopedia Definition
Network Management Products and Solutions – Cisco
UNMS – Ubiquiti Network Management System
Quality management External links:
Quality Management Training Solutions from BSI
abaqis® | Quality Management System
Software engineering External links:
Software Engineering Institute
Academy for Software Engineering / Homepage
Systems management External links:
Geographic Information Systems Management Office – …
Welcome to the Mail Systems Management Association
United Kingdom External links:
Furniture & Home Furnishings | IKEA United Kingdom
Nicola Dodd | United Kingdom | CakeStand Quilts
Year 2017 Calendar – United Kingdom
Workflow management system External links:
eSchoolView Workflow Management System
Workflow Management System | Issuetrak