What is involved in Value stream mapping
Find out what the related areas are that Value stream mapping connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Value stream mapping thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Value stream mapping journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Value stream mapping leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Value stream mapping related domains to cover and 97 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Value stream mapping, Business process mapping, Control plan, Design of experiments, Failure mode and effects analysis, Forrester effect mapping, Information and Software Technology, Kaizen, Multi-vari chart, Operations management, Pareto chart, Poka-yoke, Process capability, Product development, Project charter, Quality filter mapping, Root cause analysis, Shigeo Shingo, Six Sigma, Statistical process control, Supply chain responsiveness matrix, Toyota, Value chain, Value stream mapping software, Voice of the customer:
Value stream mapping Critical Criteria:
Read up on Value stream mapping issues and find the ideas you already have.
– To what extent does management recognize Value stream mapping as a tool to increase the results?
– Is Supporting Value stream mapping documentation required?
Business process mapping Critical Criteria:
Read up on Business process mapping tasks and gather Business process mapping models .
– Does Value stream mapping analysis show the relationships among important Value stream mapping factors?
– Does the Value stream mapping task fit the clients priorities?
– Have all basic functions of Value stream mapping been defined?
Control plan Critical Criteria:
Familiarize yourself with Control plan decisions and pay attention to the small things.
– Who is responsible for ensuring appropriate resources (time, people and money) are allocated to Value stream mapping?
– Can we do Value stream mapping without complex (expensive) analysis?
– How would one define Value stream mapping leadership?
Design of experiments Critical Criteria:
Depict Design of experiments projects and customize techniques for implementing Design of experiments controls.
– Meeting the challenge: are missed Value stream mapping opportunities costing us money?
– When a Value stream mapping manager recognizes a problem, what options are available?
– What are the barriers to increased Value stream mapping production?
Failure mode and effects analysis Critical Criteria:
Grasp Failure mode and effects analysis outcomes and diversify disclosure of information – dealing with confidential Failure mode and effects analysis information.
– How likely is the current Value stream mapping plan to come in on schedule or on budget?
– How to Secure Value stream mapping?
Forrester effect mapping Critical Criteria:
Derive from Forrester effect mapping tasks and be persistent.
– What are specific Value stream mapping Rules to follow?
– Are we Assessing Value stream mapping and Risk?
Information and Software Technology Critical Criteria:
Understand Information and Software Technology governance and integrate design thinking in Information and Software Technology innovation.
– What are the record-keeping requirements of Value stream mapping activities?
– How can you measure Value stream mapping in a systematic way?
– How do we Lead with Value stream mapping in Mind?
Kaizen Critical Criteria:
Match Kaizen visions and find the essential reading for Kaizen researchers.
– At what point will vulnerability assessments be performed once Value stream mapping is put into production (e.g., ongoing Risk Management after implementation)?
– Is Value stream mapping dependent on the successful delivery of a current project?
– Can Management personnel recognize the monetary benefit of Value stream mapping?
Multi-vari chart Critical Criteria:
Examine Multi-vari chart failures and gather practices for scaling Multi-vari chart.
– Will new equipment/products be required to facilitate Value stream mapping delivery for example is new software needed?
– Who will be responsible for documenting the Value stream mapping requirements in detail?
– What is the purpose of Value stream mapping in relation to the mission?
Operations management Critical Criteria:
Discuss Operations management strategies and adopt an insight outlook.
– What are the most important capabilities we consider when evaluating asset and Service Management providers?
– Do we have a high level of process automation connecting our asset and Service Management?
– Do we monitor the Value stream mapping decisions made and fine tune them as they evolve?
– Does our organization need more Value stream mapping education?
– Do you have a single view into it Service Management?
– Is our company developing its Human Resources?
Pareto chart Critical Criteria:
Scan Pareto chart governance and point out improvements in Pareto chart.
– What may be the consequences for the performance of an organization if all stakeholders are not consulted regarding Value stream mapping?
– How do we ensure that implementations of Value stream mapping products are done in a way that ensures safety?
– What sources do you use to gather information for a Value stream mapping study?
Poka-yoke Critical Criteria:
Add value to Poka-yoke engagements and arbitrate Poka-yoke techniques that enhance teamwork and productivity.
– How does the organization define, manage, and improve its Value stream mapping processes?
– What are the long-term Value stream mapping goals?
– How do we maintain Value stream mappings Integrity?
Process capability Critical Criteria:
Ventilate your thoughts about Process capability adoptions and tour deciding if Process capability progress is made.
– Is maximizing Value stream mapping protection the same as minimizing Value stream mapping loss?
– How will you know that the Value stream mapping project has been successful?
– Have you identified your Value stream mapping key performance indicators?
Product development Critical Criteria:
Define Product development adoptions and proactively manage Product development risks.
– A dramatic step toward becoming a learning organization is to appoint a chief training officer (CTO) or a chief learning officer (CLO). Many organizations claim to value Human Resources, but how many have a Human Resources representative involved in discussions about research and development commercialization, new product development, the strategic vision of the company, or increasing shareholder value?
– What are the key elements of your Value stream mapping performance improvement system, including your evaluation, organizational learning, and innovation processes?
– The owner of the product development processes in one of the companies stated: there are no product managers named in the company, what should they do?
– What can we do to ensure that all the necessary product development steps are adequately followed under the pressure of being first to market?
– Compare sequential product development and simultaneous product development. what are the advantages and disadvantages of each approach?
– How do senior leaders actions reflect a commitment to the organizations Value stream mapping values?
– Who is the main stakeholder, with ultimate responsibility for driving Value stream mapping forward?
– Project type: what percent of resources should go to new product developments?
– What are we trying to do whilst progressing a product development lifecycle ?
– How should you most effectively invest your product development resources?
– Which step in new product development you think is the most important?
– Do you collaborate with customers for product development and/or innovation?
– Do you collaborate with customers for product development andor innovation?
– What are the steps in the new product development process?
– How can new product development be sped up?
Project charter Critical Criteria:
Steer Project charter strategies and ask questions.
– Will Value stream mapping have an impact on current business continuity, disaster recovery processes and/or infrastructure?
– How do we know that any Value stream mapping analysis is complete and comprehensive?
– What are the Essentials of Internal Value stream mapping Management?
Quality filter mapping Critical Criteria:
Mix Quality filter mapping projects and research ways can we become the Quality filter mapping company that would put us out of business.
– Record-keeping requirements flow from the records needed as inputs, outputs, controls and for transformation of a Value stream mapping process. ask yourself: are the records needed as inputs to the Value stream mapping process available?
– What knowledge, skills and characteristics mark a good Value stream mapping project manager?
– Do we have past Value stream mapping Successes?
Root cause analysis Critical Criteria:
Rank Root cause analysis strategies and probe using an integrated framework to make sure Root cause analysis is getting what it needs.
– Who are the people involved in developing and implementing Value stream mapping?
– Is a Value stream mapping Team Work effort in place?
– Do we do Root Cause Analysis?
Shigeo Shingo Critical Criteria:
Facilitate Shigeo Shingo results and finalize the present value of growth of Shigeo Shingo.
– Does Value stream mapping analysis isolate the fundamental causes of problems?
Six Sigma Critical Criteria:
Boost Six Sigma planning and integrate design thinking in Six Sigma innovation.
– What process management and improvement tools are we using PDSA/PDCA, ISO 9000, Lean, Balanced Scorecard, Six Sigma, something else?
– Do the Value stream mapping decisions we make today help people and the planet tomorrow?
– Risk factors: what are the characteristics of Value stream mapping that make it risky?
– How is Lean Six Sigma different from TOGAF Architecture?
– Why is Value stream mapping important for you now?
Statistical process control Critical Criteria:
Cut a stake in Statistical process control tactics and define what our big hairy audacious Statistical process control goal is.
– Does Value stream mapping create potential expectations in other areas that need to be recognized and considered?
– Are Acceptance Sampling and Statistical Process Control Complementary or Incompatible?
– How do we Improve Value stream mapping service perception, and satisfaction?
– Is Value stream mapping Required?
Supply chain responsiveness matrix Critical Criteria:
Group Supply chain responsiveness matrix leadership and pioneer acquisition of Supply chain responsiveness matrix systems.
– Think about the kind of project structure that would be appropriate for your Value stream mapping project. should it be formal and complex, or can it be less formal and relatively simple?
– How do you incorporate cycle time, productivity, cost control, and other efficiency and effectiveness factors into these Value stream mapping processes?
Toyota Critical Criteria:
Map Toyota decisions and correct better engagement with Toyota results.
– Toyota is the role model and the most highly developed example of the potency of systems thinking and action learning in its broadest sense. but why, if the tps is so successful, is toyota along with its circle of suppliers still almost the lone manufacturing example?
– Agile project management with Scrum derives from best business practices in companies like Fuji-Xerox, Honda, Canon, and Toyota. Toyota routinely achieves four times the productivity and 12 times the quality of competitors. Can Scrum do the same for globally distributed teams?
– Will Value stream mapping deliverables need to be tested and, if so, by whom?
– Are there recognized Value stream mapping problems?
Value chain Critical Criteria:
Incorporate Value chain tactics and simulate teachings and consultations on quality process improvement of Value chain.
– Do we aggressively reward and promote the people who have the biggest impact on creating excellent Value stream mapping services/products?
– What are the success criteria that will indicate that Value stream mapping objectives have been met and the benefits delivered?
– How can we improve Value stream mapping?
Value stream mapping software Critical Criteria:
Wrangle Value stream mapping software tactics and get answers.
– How can we incorporate support to ensure safe and effective use of Value stream mapping into the services that we provide?
– Have the types of risks that may impact Value stream mapping been identified and analyzed?
Voice of the customer Critical Criteria:
Co-operate on Voice of the customer strategies and get out your magnifying glass.
– Is the Value stream mapping organization completing tasks effectively and efficiently?
– Does Value stream mapping appropriately measure and monitor risk?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Value stream mapping Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Value stream mapping External links:
[PDF]Title Value Stream Mapping for SMEs: a case study
[PDF]Value Stream Mapping at XYZ Company by Madhubala …
SME – Value Stream Mapping
Business process mapping External links:
[PDF]Business Process Mapping – romford.store
Business Process Mapping and Business Process Modeling
Control plan External links:
Traffic Plans Made Easy – Traffic Control Plan Software
Review the Vibrio Control Plan | Mass.gov
Design of experiments External links:
The design of experiments. (Book, 1935) [WorldCat.org]
[PDF]Statistical Design of Experiments – University of Notre …
Design of Experiments – AbeBooks
Failure mode and effects analysis External links:
[PDF]Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (FMEA)
[PDF]FAILURE MODE AND EFFECTS ANALYSIS (FMEA)
Forrester effect mapping External links:
Forrester effect mapping – Revolvy
www.revolvy.com/topic/Forrester effect mapping
Information and Software Technology External links:
Information and Software Technology – Journal – Elsevier
Information and Software Technology – Official Site
Kaizen External links:
Executive Search | Lean Recruiters – Home | Career Kaizen
Kaizen foam inserts for tool boxes and other cases
Kaizen Age: Health, Wellness, and Brain Supplements
Multi-vari chart External links:
Multi-Vari Chart – ISSSP for Lean Six Sigma
Operations management External links:
Operations management (Book, 2011) [WorldCat.org]
Operations management (Book, 2015) [WorldCat.org]
Pareto chart External links:
Pareto Chart in Excel | Pareto Diagram | QI Macros
Pareto Chart in Excel – EASY Excel Tutorial
Create a Pareto Chart – YouTube
Poka-yoke External links:
[PDF]Poka-Yoke Presentation for ASQ
[PPT]Mistake Proofing & Poka-yoke – landp.com.au
Process capability External links:
Process Capability (Cp, Cpk) and Process Performance …
www.isixsigma.com › … › Capability Indices/Process Capability
[PDF]PROCESS CAPABILITY (SPC) Section 4 – Powers and …
supplier.powersandsonsllc.com/Section 4 – Process Capability (SPC).pdf
How to Assess Process Capability using Minitab 17 – YouTube
Product development External links:
SIGMADESIGN – Product Development Consulting Firms
i3 Product Development – Official Site
Invention Design, Product Development & Licensing | …
Project charter External links:
What Is a Project Charter? Steering Your Project to Success
Quality filter mapping External links:
Quality filter mapping – Rediff Pages
Root cause analysis External links:
Online Root Cause Analysis Toolkit – Minnesota Dept. of …
Root Cause Analysis | AHRQ Patient Safety Network
Root Cause Analysis System, Training and Software by …
Six Sigma External links:
Lean Six Sigma Training & Certification – GoLeanSixSigma…
Lean Six Sigma | Greenville Technical College
Lean Six Sigma Green Belt Certification – Acuity Institute
Statistical process control External links:
SPC | Statistical Process Control | Quality-One
Statistical process control Flashcards | Quizlet
Statistical process control (SPC) is a method of quality control which uses statistical methods. SPC is applied in order to monitor and control a process. Monitoring and controlling the process ensures that it operates at its full potential.
Toyota External links:
Toyota — Playoffs Sweepstakes
Toyota Financial – Official Site
Toyota Tsusho America Careers
Value chain External links:
U.S. Global Value Chain Coalition
The Value Chain Academy | Start
Value Chain – Investopedia
Value stream mapping software External links:
Value Stream Mapping Software | BreezeTree
Value stream mapping software – Process Improvement …
[PDF]Value Stream Mapping Software – mtpkit.store
Voice of the customer External links:
Voice of the Customer Technology of the Future | Qualtrics
[PDF]THE VOICE OF THE CUSTOMER. – mit.edu
Print Page – Voice of the Customer – Plusnet Usergroup