What is involved in data modelling
Find out what the related areas are that data modelling connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a data modelling thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its data modelling journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward data modelling leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which data modelling related domains to cover and 336 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
data modelling, Enterprise architecture, Semantic data model, Bertrand Meyer, Computer science, Artificial intelligence, Activity diagram, Software design, American National Standards Institute, Formal methods, Database design, Software deployment, Data architecture, Data flow diagram, Process modeling, XML schema, Aspect-oriented software development, Information system, Data model, Software quality assurance, Project management, Three schema approach, Computer-aided software engineering, Incremental build model, Software maintenance, Risk management, Systems development life cycle, Zachman Framework, Edsger W. Dijkstra, Capability Maturity Model Integration, Requirements analysis, Systems analysis, Copyright status of work by the U.S. government, Physical data model, Software configuration management, Object-relational mapping, Metadata modeling, Object-oriented programming, Waterfall model, Executable UML, Rapid application development, ISO/IEC 15504, Functional specification, View model, Information model, Information Management, Business process modeling, Relational database, Business process, Physical schema, Architectural pattern, Software development process, Informative modelling, Conceptual schema, Watts Humphrey, Domain of discourse, Unified Process, Programming paradigm, Database model, Function model, Niklaus Wirth, Relational Model, Relational Model/Tasmania, Spiral model, Extended Backus–Naur form, Agile software development, Requirements engineering, Enterprise modelling, Data Vault Modeling:
data modelling Critical Criteria:
Recall data modelling failures and oversee data modelling requirements.
– Who is responsible for ensuring appropriate resources (time, people and money) are allocated to data modelling?
– Is data modelling Realistic, or are you setting yourself up for failure?
Enterprise architecture Critical Criteria:
Align Enterprise architecture failures and report on developing an effective Enterprise architecture strategy.
– With the increasing adoption of cloud computing do you think enterprise architecture as a discipline will become more or less important to us and why?
– What is the total cost related to deploying data modelling, including any consulting or professional services?
– Is there a data modelling Communication plan covering who needs to get what information when?
– Enterprise architecture planning. how does it align with to the to be architecture?
– How does the standard fit into the Federal Enterprise Architecture (FEA)?
– Are Enterprise JavaBeans still relevant for enterprise architectures?
– Are software assets aligned with the agency enterprise architecture?
– Think of your data modelling project. what are the main functions?
– Are software assets aligned with the organizations enterprise architecture?
– Are the levels and focus right for TOGAF enterprise architecture?
– Is There a Role for Patterns in Enterprise Architecture?
– What is the value of mature Enterprise Architecture?
– Why Should we Consider Enterprise Architecture?
– What is an Enterprise Architecture?
– What Is Enterprise Architecture?
– Why Enterprise Architecture?
Semantic data model Critical Criteria:
Debate over Semantic data model leadership and spearhead techniques for implementing Semantic data model.
– What new services of functionality will be implemented next with data modelling ?
– How important is data modelling to the user organizations mission?
– What are current data modelling Paradigms?
Bertrand Meyer Critical Criteria:
Participate in Bertrand Meyer leadership and oversee Bertrand Meyer management by competencies.
– Think about the kind of project structure that would be appropriate for your data modelling project. should it be formal and complex, or can it be less formal and relatively simple?
– What are the barriers to increased data modelling production?
Computer science Critical Criteria:
Merge Computer science governance and be persistent.
– Do the data modelling decisions we make today help people and the planet tomorrow?
– How to Secure data modelling?
Artificial intelligence Critical Criteria:
Closely inspect Artificial intelligence decisions and triple focus on important concepts of Artificial intelligence relationship management.
– What are our best practices for minimizing data modelling project risk, while demonstrating incremental value and quick wins throughout the data modelling project lifecycle?
– Who will be responsible for deciding whether data modelling goes ahead or not after the initial investigations?
Activity diagram Critical Criteria:
Deduce Activity diagram tactics and probe Activity diagram strategic alliances.
– What are the top 3 things at the forefront of our data modelling agendas for the next 3 years?
– Why should we adopt a data modelling framework?
– What about data modelling Analysis of results?
Software design Critical Criteria:
Judge Software design results and get out your magnifying glass.
– Do we cover the five essential competencies-Communication, Collaboration,Innovation, Adaptability, and Leadership that improve an organizations ability to leverage the new data modelling in a volatile global economy?
– What are the business goals data modelling is aiming to achieve?
– How will you measure your data modelling effectiveness?
American National Standards Institute Critical Criteria:
Investigate American National Standards Institute adoptions and customize techniques for implementing American National Standards Institute controls.
– How can we improve data modelling?
Formal methods Critical Criteria:
Illustrate Formal methods risks and describe the risks of Formal methods sustainability.
– Does data modelling analysis show the relationships among important data modelling factors?
– What are the long-term data modelling goals?
– Is a data modelling Team Work effort in place?
Database design Critical Criteria:
Bootstrap Database design risks and create a map for yourself.
– Rapid application development (rad) techniques have been around for about two decades now and have been used with varying degrees of success. sometimes rad is required for certain projects. but rad can be bad for database design. why?
– Are there any easy-to-implement alternatives to data modelling? Sometimes other solutions are available that do not require the cost implications of a full-blown project?
– What are our needs in relation to data modelling skills, labor, equipment, and markets?
– Why are data modelling skills important?
Software deployment Critical Criteria:
Canvass Software deployment visions and improve Software deployment service perception.
– How can skill-level changes improve data modelling?
Data architecture Critical Criteria:
Have a round table over Data architecture results and forecast involvement of future Data architecture projects in development.
– Can we describe the data architecture and relationship between key variables. for example, are data stored in a spreadsheet with one row for each person/entity, a relational database, or some other format?
– Does your bi software work well with both centralized and decentralized data architectures and vendors?
– Do we need an enterprise data warehouse, a Data Lake, or both as part of our overall data architecture?
– What are the Essentials of Internal data modelling Management?
– What are internal and external data modelling relations?
Data flow diagram Critical Criteria:
Grade Data flow diagram engagements and find answers.
– How do your measurements capture actionable data modelling information for use in exceeding your customers expectations and securing your customers engagement?
– Think about the functions involved in your data modelling project. what processes flow from these functions?
Process modeling Critical Criteria:
Use past Process modeling adoptions and shift your focus.
– Does data modelling include applications and information with regulatory compliance significance (or other contractual conditions that must be formally complied with) in a new or unique manner for which no approved security requirements, templates or design models exist?
– How do we know that any data modelling analysis is complete and comprehensive?
– How will you know that the data modelling project has been successful?
XML schema Critical Criteria:
Set goals for XML schema visions and point out improvements in XML schema.
– What are the disruptive data modelling technologies that enable our organization to radically change our business processes?
– Why is data modelling important for you now?
Aspect-oriented software development Critical Criteria:
Guard Aspect-oriented software development risks and figure out ways to motivate other Aspect-oriented software development users.
Information system Critical Criteria:
Contribute to Information system risks and find out.
– Have we developed a continuous monitoring strategy for the information systems (including monitoring of security control effectiveness for system-specific, hybrid, and common controls) that reflects the organizational Risk Management strategy and organizational commitment to protecting critical missions and business functions?
– On what terms should a manager of information systems evolution and maintenance provide service and support to the customers of information systems evolution and maintenance?
– Has your organization conducted a cyber risk or vulnerability assessment of its information systems, control systems, and other networked systems?
– Would an information systems (is) group with more knowledge about a data production process produce better quality data for data consumers?
– Which customers cant participate in our data modelling domain because they lack skills, wealth, or convenient access to existing solutions?
– Are information systems and the services of information systems things of value that have suppliers and customers?
– What are the principal business applications (i.e. information systems available from staff PC desktops)?
– Why Learn About Security, Privacy, and Ethical Issues in Information Systems and the Internet?
– What are information systems, and who are the stakeholders in the information systems game?
– How secure -well protected against potential risks is the information system ?
– Do you monitor the effectiveness of your data modelling activities?
– Is unauthorized access to information held in information systems prevented?
– What does integrity ensure in an information system?
– Is authorized user access to information systems ensured?
– How are our information systems developed ?
– Is security an integral part of information systems?
– How do we maintain data modellings Integrity?
Data model Critical Criteria:
Derive from Data model outcomes and handle a jump-start course to Data model.
– What are the data model, data definitions, structure, and hosting options of purchased applications (COTS)?
– What is the physical data model definition (derived from logical data models) used to design the database?
– Will new equipment/products be required to facilitate data modelling delivery for example is new software needed?
– Who are the people involved in developing and implementing data modelling?
– Physical data model available?
– Logical data model available?
Software quality assurance Critical Criteria:
Extrapolate Software quality assurance leadership and create a map for yourself.
– Does the software Quality Assurance function have a management reporting channel separate from the software development project management?
– Are software Quality Assurance tests a part of the general hardware acceptance test on the customers machine before it leaves the factory?
– Do software Quality Assurance test programs undergo the same production cycle and method (except q/a) as the software they test?
– Is software Quality Assurance done by an independently reporting agency representing the interests of the eventual user?
– Is at least one person engaged in software Quality Assurance for every ten engaged in its fabrication?
– What are the best practices for software quality assurance when using agile development methodologies?
Project management Critical Criteria:
Paraphrase Project management planning and look at it backwards.
– Troubleshooting – are problems related to what is actually changing (the change), to the management of tasks and resources to make the change happen (project management) or to issues relating to employee engagement, buy-in and resistance (Change Management)?
– The fundamentals of agile software development, agile project management, and evolutionary development have been proven and demonstrated to be highly successful. Are these now preferred in our organization?
– With agile processes promoting the concept of self-directed teams, is there room for the conventional project manager or does this role also need to evolve to suit the principles of the new paradigm?
– How can a company arrange a new project if the management does not know when they will finish the current projects and when the employees will be free to take on a new project?
– Are there implications for the observed success of agile to date that reflects on our larger understanding of organizations and their fundamental nature?
– Can we say that the traditional project team is not self-organized, no matter how complex the project is, and what level of team we are discussing?
– What of the risk of rework if initial architecture work overlooks what turns out to be critical? what is the probability of this happening?
– Just what is a project management office, and how can it help you address the unique project management challenges in your organization?
– How much effort and investment in time and resources will be required to develop new tools, templates and processes?
– How can an agile project manager balance team level autonomy and individual level autonomy in agile software teams?
– Our project management standards do they support or undermine Risk Management?
– What s the protocol for interaction, decision making, project management?
– Operationally, what does project management integration mean?
– How do we create a culture that supports project management?
– What are the Commercial aspects of Project Management?
– What is Turnkey Operation in Project Management?
– How familiar are we with Agile project management?
– How does cost of change affect software?
– How do we deal with change?
– What is scrum?
Three schema approach Critical Criteria:
Chat re Three schema approach decisions and remodel and develop an effective Three schema approach strategy.
– Does data modelling systematically track and analyze outcomes for accountability and quality improvement?
– What vendors make products that address the data modelling needs?
Computer-aided software engineering Critical Criteria:
Consider Computer-aided software engineering governance and gather Computer-aided software engineering models .
– Where do ideas that reach policy makers and planners as proposals for data modelling strengthening and reform actually originate?
Incremental build model Critical Criteria:
Confer re Incremental build model quality and finalize the present value of growth of Incremental build model.
– Is there any existing data modelling governance structure?
Software maintenance Critical Criteria:
Steer Software maintenance tactics and customize techniques for implementing Software maintenance controls.
– If the path forward waits until a new generation of devices essentially replaces an old generation of devices which could be somewhere between 5 and 15 years, what does the path forward look like for the legacy devices and their software maintenance?
– Will data modelling have an impact on current business continuity, disaster recovery processes and/or infrastructure?
– What are all of our data modelling domains and what do they do?
– Is data modelling Required?
Risk management Critical Criteria:
Interpolate Risk management tactics and cater for concise Risk management education.
– Has management considered from external parties (e.g., customers, vendors and others doing business with the entity, external auditors, and regulators) important information on the functioning of an entitys enterprise Risk Management?
– Has Cybersecurity been identified in the physical security plans for the assets, reflecting planning for a blended cyber/physical attack?
– Is your strategy development linked to risk management or any ERM? Or are you looking for ERM to support strategic objectives?
– Do you standardize ITRM processes and clearly defined roles and responsibilities to improve efficiency, quality and reporting?
– Does your organization have a formal Risk Management process in place to assess and mitigate risks to the organization?
– Are there any threats or vulnerabilities in the environment? Has anything changed in production?
– What best describes your establishment of a common process, risk and control library?
– Are response processes and procedures executable and are they being maintained?
– Where is the locus of control? Within a Centralized Authority or Decentralized Authority?
– Which standards or practices have you used for your IT risk program framework?
– Are new risks introduced as a result of the identified risks being controlled?
– Do you have a plan in place for reputation management after an event?
– Do we evaluate security risks associated with proposed software?
– Are systems audited to detect Cybersecurity intrusions?
– What is the system-availability requirement?
– Why Maintain a Risk Management Program?
Systems development life cycle Critical Criteria:
Extrapolate Systems development life cycle goals and observe effective Systems development life cycle.
– Think about the people you identified for your data modelling project and the project responsibilities you would assign to them. what kind of training do you think they would need to perform these responsibilities effectively?
– Why is the systems development life cycle considered an iterative process?
– What are the five steps in the systems development life cycle (sdlc)?
Zachman Framework Critical Criteria:
Review Zachman Framework projects and probe the present value of growth of Zachman Framework.
– Are there any disadvantages to implementing data modelling? There might be some that are less obvious?
– How do we measure improved data modelling service perception, and satisfaction?
– Will data modelling deliverables need to be tested and, if so, by whom?
– How do enterprise architects use the Zachman Framework?
Edsger W. Dijkstra Critical Criteria:
Communicate about Edsger W. Dijkstra projects and balance specific methods for improving Edsger W. Dijkstra results.
– In the case of a data modelling project, the criteria for the audit derive from implementation objectives. an audit of a data modelling project involves assessing whether the recommendations outlined for implementation have been met. in other words, can we track that any data modelling project is implemented as planned, and is it working?
Capability Maturity Model Integration Critical Criteria:
Deduce Capability Maturity Model Integration adoptions and define what do we need to start doing with Capability Maturity Model Integration.
– What are your key performance measures or indicators and in-process measures for the control and improvement of your data modelling processes?
– Who will be responsible for documenting the data modelling requirements in detail?
Requirements analysis Critical Criteria:
Study Requirements analysis outcomes and separate what are the business goals Requirements analysis is aiming to achieve.
Systems analysis Critical Criteria:
Boost Systems analysis outcomes and budget the knowledge transfer for any interested in Systems analysis.
– It is often difficult to explain what is achieved by Systems Analysis and design especially when talking to a user that wants a system tomorrow! why should it take so long to design a system?
– Are there important aspects of system components that cannot be measured adequately at this time?
– What are the important external or multisectoral determinants of system performance?
– How can software be acquired, if needed, during the systems development phase?
– What are the different roles that are played on our systems development team?
– What is the purpose of splitting design into two parts: systems and detail?
– What specific functions (or sub-systems) exist within the organization?
– What other technologies, tools, or equipment are used in this process?
– What types of planning are necessary to ensure the system s success?
– In which of the stages will end-user involvement be most extensive?
– How has computing been used to support requirements determination?
– What are the organizations relationships with other organizations?
– How should Systems Analysis incorporate multisectoral components?
– Technical feasibility. is the solution technically practical?
– What other people take part in this system?
– What are top managements roles?
– Can the process be simplified?
– So, what is a procedure ?
– Why build the system?
– Who does analysis?
Copyright status of work by the U.S. government Critical Criteria:
Mine Copyright status of work by the U.S. government tactics and assess and formulate effective operational and Copyright status of work by the U.S. government strategies.
– Do those selected for the data modelling team have a good general understanding of what data modelling is all about?
– What is our data modelling Strategy?
Physical data model Critical Criteria:
Value Physical data model leadership and research ways can we become the Physical data model company that would put us out of business.
– Are we Assessing data modelling and Risk?
– How to deal with data modelling Changes?
Software configuration management Critical Criteria:
Track Software configuration management tasks and grade techniques for implementing Software configuration management controls.
– What are some of the software Configuration Management tools?
– Definition: what is software Configuration Management?
– Motivation: why software Configuration Management?
– Which data modelling goals are the most important?
– Why software Configuration Management ?
Object-relational mapping Critical Criteria:
Disseminate Object-relational mapping failures and spearhead techniques for implementing Object-relational mapping.
– Are we making progress? and are we making progress as data modelling leaders?
– What potential environmental factors impact the data modelling effort?
Metadata modeling Critical Criteria:
Concentrate on Metadata modeling goals and devise Metadata modeling key steps.
– What are your current levels and trends in key measures or indicators of data modelling product and process performance that are important to and directly serve your customers? how do these results compare with the performance of your competitors and other organizations with similar offerings?
– what is the best design framework for data modelling organization now that, in a post industrial-age if the top-down, command and control model is no longer relevant?
Object-oriented programming Critical Criteria:
Survey Object-oriented programming risks and figure out ways to motivate other Object-oriented programming users.
– What will be the consequences to the business (financial, reputation etc) if data modelling does not go ahead or fails to deliver the objectives?
– What knowledge, skills and characteristics mark a good data modelling project manager?
– Do we all define data modelling in the same way?
Waterfall model Critical Criteria:
Deliberate over Waterfall model outcomes and handle a jump-start course to Waterfall model.
– What is the purpose of data modelling in relation to the mission?
Executable UML Critical Criteria:
Closely inspect Executable UML projects and give examples utilizing a core of simple Executable UML skills.
– How do we make it meaningful in connecting data modelling with what users do day-to-day?
– How likely is the current data modelling plan to come in on schedule or on budget?
– To what extent does management recognize data modelling as a tool to increase the results?
Rapid application development Critical Criteria:
Align Rapid application development governance and devote time assessing Rapid application development and its risk.
– How do you incorporate cycle time, productivity, cost control, and other efficiency and effectiveness factors into these data modelling processes?
– What type of feasibility is concerned with whether the project violates particular laws or regulations?
– Schedule feasibility -can the solution be designed and implemented within an acceptable time?
– Who is responsible for modifying or developing programs to satisfy user requirements?
– What type of feasibility is concerned with whether the project makes financial sense?
– Operational feasibility -will the solution fulfill the users requirements?
– What sets of objectives are important to our systems development project?
– Why wait years to develop systems likely to be obsolete upon completion?
– Which sdlc results in the highest degree of user participation?
– Technical feasibility -is the solution technically practical?
– What opportunities might a new or enhanced system provide?
– Should it be monitored by standard monitoring tools?
– Who are the potential users of the new application?
– What are the potential costs (variable and fixed)?
– Can all end user classes be identified?
– How time-constrained is the project?
– Why are sdlcs important?
– When to use dsdm?
– Is it applicable?
ISO/IEC 15504 Critical Criteria:
Map ISO/IEC 15504 failures and attract ISO/IEC 15504 skills.
– Marketing budgets are tighter, consumers are more skeptical, and social media has changed forever the way we talk about data modelling. How do we gain traction?
Functional specification Critical Criteria:
Concentrate on Functional specification goals and integrate design thinking in Functional specification innovation.
View model Critical Criteria:
Consult on View model projects and balance specific methods for improving View model results.
– What will drive data modelling change?
Information model Critical Criteria:
Face Information model failures and proactively manage Information model risks.
– Has the semantic relationship between information elements been identified based on the information models and classification schemes?
– What tools do you use once you have decided on a data modelling strategy and more importantly how do you choose?
Information Management Critical Criteria:
Have a meeting on Information Management tasks and budget for Information Management challenges.
– What is the difference between Enterprise Information Management and Data Warehousing?
– What are your most important goals for the strategic data modelling objectives?
– How is Business Intelligence and Information Management related?
– How is the value delivered by data modelling being measured?
– How can the value of data modelling be defined?
Business process modeling Critical Criteria:
Do a round table on Business process modeling projects and suggest using storytelling to create more compelling Business process modeling projects.
– Who will provide the final approval of data modelling deliverables?
Relational database Critical Criteria:
Detail Relational database visions and find out.
– Are assumptions made in data modelling stated explicitly?
Business process Critical Criteria:
Give examples of Business process decisions and separate what are the business goals Business process is aiming to achieve.
– Do we identify maximum allowable downtime for critical business functions, acceptable levels of data loss and backlogged transactions, RTOs, RPOs, recovery of the critical path (i.e., business processes or systems that should receive the highest priority), and the costs associated with downtime? Are the approved thresholds appropriate?
– Have the segments, goals and performance objectives been translated into an actionable and realistic target business and information architecture expressed within business functions, business processes, and information requirements?
– Has business process Cybersecurity has been included in continuity of operations plans for areas such as customer data, billing, etc.?
– Do you design data protection and privacy requirements into the development of your business processes and new systems?
– What finance, procurement and Human Resources business processes should be included in the scope of a erp solution?
– Do the functional areas need business process integration (e.g., order entl. billing, or Customer Service)?
– How do we ensure that implementations of data modelling products are done in a way that ensures safety?
– If we process purchase orders; what is the desired business process around supporting purchase orders?
– If we accept checks what is the desired business process around supporting checks?
– Do changes in business processes fall under the scope of change management?
– What business process supports the entry and validation of the data?
– How do we improve business processes and how do we deliver on that?
– On what basis would you decide to redesign a business process?
– How will business process and behavioral change be managed?
– How does the solution handle core business processes?
– What is the business process?
Physical schema Critical Criteria:
Face Physical schema visions and question.
– What role does communication play in the success or failure of a data modelling project?
– How do mission and objectives affect the data modelling processes of our organization?
Architectural pattern Critical Criteria:
Study Architectural pattern quality and tour deciding if Architectural pattern progress is made.
Software development process Critical Criteria:
Survey Software development process projects and observe effective Software development process.
– Where does User Experience come from, what does it add to the software development process and what methods are available?
– Does data modelling create potential expectations in other areas that need to be recognized and considered?
Informative modelling Critical Criteria:
Troubleshoot Informative modelling adoptions and oversee implementation of Informative modelling.
– How can we incorporate support to ensure safe and effective use of data modelling into the services that we provide?
Conceptual schema Critical Criteria:
Trace Conceptual schema engagements and observe effective Conceptual schema.
– Record-keeping requirements flow from the records needed as inputs, outputs, controls and for transformation of a data modelling process. ask yourself: are the records needed as inputs to the data modelling process available?
– Consider your own data modelling project. what types of organizational problems do you think might be causing or affecting your problem, based on the work done so far?
– When a data modelling manager recognizes a problem, what options are available?
Watts Humphrey Critical Criteria:
Ventilate your thoughts about Watts Humphrey management and summarize a clear Watts Humphrey focus.
– Have the types of risks that may impact data modelling been identified and analyzed?
Domain of discourse Critical Criteria:
Huddle over Domain of discourse decisions and mentor Domain of discourse customer orientation.
– What management system can we use to leverage the data modelling experience, ideas, and concerns of the people closest to the work to be done?
Unified Process Critical Criteria:
Facilitate Unified Process projects and find out what it really means.
– How do we keep improving data modelling?
Programming paradigm Critical Criteria:
Judge Programming paradigm outcomes and reinforce and communicate particularly sensitive Programming paradigm decisions.
– In a project to restructure data modelling outcomes, which stakeholders would you involve?
Database model Critical Criteria:
Depict Database model risks and summarize a clear Database model focus.
– What are the key elements of your data modelling performance improvement system, including your evaluation, organizational learning, and innovation processes?
– Do data modelling rules make a reasonable demand on a users capabilities?
Function model Critical Criteria:
Confer over Function model tasks and find out.
– What sources do you use to gather information for a data modelling study?
Niklaus Wirth Critical Criteria:
Shape Niklaus Wirth governance and report on setting up Niklaus Wirth without losing ground.
Relational Model Critical Criteria:
Deliberate Relational Model tasks and raise human resource and employment practices for Relational Model.
– Is the data modelling organization completing tasks effectively and efficiently?
– What are specific data modelling Rules to follow?
Relational Model/Tasmania Critical Criteria:
Scan Relational Model/Tasmania projects and frame using storytelling to create more compelling Relational Model/Tasmania projects.
– How do we Lead with data modelling in Mind?
– How do we go about Securing data modelling?
Spiral model Critical Criteria:
Boost Spiral model projects and describe the risks of Spiral model sustainability.
Extended Backus–Naur form Critical Criteria:
Scrutinze Extended Backus–Naur form leadership and probe Extended Backus–Naur form strategic alliances.
Agile software development Critical Criteria:
Mix Agile software development adoptions and balance specific methods for improving Agile software development results.
– When you are identifying the potential technical strategy(s) you have several process factors that you should address. As with initial scoping how much detail you go into when documenting the architecture, the views that you create, and your approach to modeling are important considerations. Furthermore, will you be considering one or more candidate architectures and what is your overall delivery strategy?
– Management buy-in is a concern. Many program managers are worried that upper-level management would ask for progress reports and productivity metrics that would be hard to gather in an Agile work environment. Management ignorance of Agile methodologies is also a worry. Will Agile advantages be able to overcome the well-known existing problems in software development?
– Much of the agile advice is oriented towards small teams of up to ten people, who are either co-located or near located, who have ready access to their primary stakeholders, and who are working on software that can be easily organized into a series of small releases. What about large teams?
– The sprint backlog is the list of work the team must address during the next sprint. The list is derived by selecting stories/features from the top of the product backlog until the team feels they have enough work to fill the sprint. Is this done by the team asking, Can we also do this?
– How can we fix actual and perceived problems uncovered in ethnographic investigations of Agile software development teams?
– How could agile approach be taken into consideration when recruiting personnel and allocating people into projects?
– Can agile methods be used effectively for evolving a system in response to customer change requests?
– Do not ISO 9000 and CMM certifications loose their meaning when applied to the software industry?
– Who would benefit from the framework(s) and how could it (they) be utilized?
– To what level of detail will you capture the requirements, if at all?
– What scaling factors should we consider when tailoring our approach?
– Has Your Organization Adopted One or More Agile Techniques?
– Do we use kanban, and know how it compares to scrum?
– What is and why Disciplined Agile Delivery (DAD)?
– Is Internet-speed software development different?
– How do Web Operators communicate with Developers?
– How Extreme Does Extreme Programming Have to Be?
– Is the system subject to external regulation?
– What is the expected system lifetime?
– When should we not use it?
Requirements engineering Critical Criteria:
Examine Requirements engineering goals and plan concise Requirements engineering education.
– Among the data modelling product and service cost to be estimated, which is considered hardest to estimate?
– Is maximizing data modelling protection the same as minimizing data modelling loss?
Enterprise modelling Critical Criteria:
Tête-à-tête about Enterprise modelling tasks and mentor Enterprise modelling customer orientation.
– What other jobs or tasks affect the performance of the steps in the data modelling process?
Data Vault Modeling Critical Criteria:
Investigate Data Vault Modeling failures and budget for Data Vault Modeling challenges.
– Does data modelling appropriately measure and monitor risk?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the data modelling Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
data modelling External links:
Data modelling – an introduction – YouTube
MongoDB Data Modelling – tutorialspoint.com
Data Modelling Courses | Coursera
Enterprise architecture External links:
Enterprise Architecture – CDT Services
Federal Enterprise Architecture (FEA) | The White House
Enterprise Architecture | North Dakota ITD
Semantic data model External links:
Semantic Data Model | Database Management | FANDOM …
What is the Semantic Data Model? – Definition from …
semantic data model – Gartner IT Glossary
Bertrand Meyer External links:
Bertrand Meyer Profiles | Facebook
Bertrand Meyer – Google Scholar Citations
Bertrand Meyer-Stabley | Facebook
Computer science External links:
IT & Computer Science Degrees and Certificates | UMUC
Mastering Engineering & Computer Science | Pearson
Activity diagram External links:
UML Class & Activity Diagram Flashcards | Quizlet
What is an Activity Diagram? – Definition from Techopedia
Activity Diagram For Hospital Management System – …
Software design External links:
[PDF]Software Design Document (SDD) Template
Software Design and Architecture | Coursera
Custom Software Design & Development | FrogSlayer
American National Standards Institute External links:
ANSI – American National Standards Institute
Revised American National Standards Institute I …
ANSI – American National Standards Institute – EDI Basics
Formal methods External links:
Formal Methods in Architecture – Home | Facebook
FM 2018: Oxford 15-17 July 2018 – Formal Methods Europe
Database design External links:
Concepts of Database Design Flashcards | Quizlet
Database design (Internet resource, 2014) [WorldCat.org]
[PDF]Title: Database Design – UDC CSIT
Software deployment External links:
Software Deployment – PC Power Management – IT …
Sophos Central: Software deployment methods – Sophos Community
Data flow diagram External links:
What is a Data Flow Diagram | Lucidchart
Data Flow Diagram Examples – SmartDraw
What is Data Flow Diagram (DFD)? How to Draw DFD?
Process modeling External links:
Process modeling (eBook, 1986) [WorldCat.org]
Process Modeling – Support – Sigma
Navvia Process Modeling Software | Process Modelling …
XML schema External links:
XML Schema by Example – Diranieh
XML Schema Example – W3Schools Online Web Tutorials
[PDF]XML Schema Version 1 – Federal Energy Regulatory …
Aspect-oriented software development External links:
Aspect-oriented software development (AOSD) uses this approach to create a better modularity for functional and nonfunctional requirements, platform specifics, and more, allowing you to build more understandable systems that are easier to configure and extend to meet the evolving needs of stakeholders. In this highly anticipated new …
Information system External links:
National Motor Vehicle Title Information System (NMVTIS)
National Motor Vehicle Title Information System
Buildings Information System
Software quality assurance External links:
15-1199.01 – Software Quality Assurance Engineers and …
CheQ Systems – Software Quality Assurance Testing …
Project management External links:
LearnSmart IT & Project Management Online Training …
CCRS | Project Management Institute
Three schema approach External links:
Three schema approach – Revolvy
www.revolvy.com/topic/Three schema approach&item_type=topic
Computer-aided software engineering External links:
Integrating computer-aided software engineering and …
Incremental build model External links:
Incremental Build Model – YouTube
Incremental Build model | COMPLEX TESTER
Incremental build model by John Brock on Prezi
Software maintenance External links:
Software Maintenance & Support | ESHA Research
MathWorks Software Maintenance Service – Makers of …
Risk management External links:
orm | Office of Risk Management
Education Risk Management | Edu Risk Solutions
Systems development life cycle External links:
DOJ Systems Development Life Cycle Guidance Table of Contents
Systems Development Life Cycle – albany.edu
[PDF]Systems Development Life Cycle (SDLC) …
Zachman Framework External links:
About the Zachman Framework
Zachman Framework – YouTube
Zachman Framework For Enterprise Architecture – …
Edsger W. Dijkstra External links:
Edsger W. Dijkstra • IEEE Computer Society
Edsger W. Dijkstra Quotes
Edsger W. Dijkstra (Author of A Discipline of Programming)
Capability Maturity Model Integration External links:
[PDF]Capability Maturity Model Integration (CMMI) Overview
Requirements analysis External links:
Introduction to Requirements Analysis | About …
[PDF]2 SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS ANALYSIS
[DOC]Requirements Analysis Document (RAD) – Brandeis …
Systems analysis External links:
SKM Systems Analysis, Inc. – Power System Software and …
P E Systems | Systems Analysis | Technology Services
[PDF]Measurement Systems Analysis
Physical data model External links:
What are Conceptual, Logical and Physical Data Models?
What is a Physical Data Model? – Definition from Techopedia
[PDF]Physical Data Model Pipeline Open Data Standard
Software configuration management External links:
Software Configuration Management – YouTube
[PDF]Software Configuration Management A Clear Case …
[PDF]Software Configuration Management
Object-relational mapping External links:
Introduction to Object-Relational Mapping – YouTube
Metadata modeling External links:
“A metadata modeling approach to database …
Object-oriented programming External links:
What is object-oriented programming? – Quora
What Is Object-Oriented Programming? – Upwork
Waterfall model External links:
HOW TO MAKE WATERFALL MODEL – YouTube
SDLC – Waterfall Model – tutorialspoint.com
How to make a realistic waterfall model – YouTube
Executable UML External links:
Executable UML (xUML)
University Bookstore at Texas State – Executable UML
Elevator Requirements — Executable UML (xUML)
Rapid application development External links:
Rapid Application Development for the Web | Radzen
Pega 7 Platform: Rapid Application Development | Pega
Best Rapid Application Development (RAD) Software in …
ISO/IEC 15504 External links:
ISO/IEC 15504 Information technology – Process assessment, also termed Software Process Improvement and Capability Determination (SPICE), is a set of technical standards documents for the computer software development process and related business management functions.
ISO/IEC 15504 – Infogalactic: the planetary knowledge core
Functional specification External links:
What Goes Into a Functional Specification? – Bridging the …
What is functional specification? – Definition from WhatIs.com
Process 2: Write the Functional Specification
View model External links:
Pine View Model United Nations
My View model position for CS:GO – Steam Community
[PDF]FAUCET PARTS – EXPLODED VIEW Model: K-59 – …
Information model External links:
Jail Information Model (eBook, 2006) [WorldCat.org]
Splunk Common Information Model (CIM) | Splunkbase
[PDF]General Information Model Numbering System for …
Information Management External links:
Conference – Association for Title Information Management
Property Information Management System
Business process modeling External links:
What is Business Process Modeling Notation | Lucidchart
Guide to Business Process Modeling | Smartsheet
[PDF]Business Process Modeling Defined
Relational database External links:
DCJS Coded Law File Relational Database – NY DCJS
Cloud SQL – MySQL & PostgreSQL Relational Database …
Amazon Relational Database Service (RDS) – AWS
Business process External links:
What Is a Business Process? (with picture) – wiseGEEK
Microsoft Dynamics 365 – Modernizing Business Process …
Canon Business Process Services
Physical schema External links:
ODI Physical Schema – Data Enthusiast
Mary Fulkerson’s Physical Schema – YouTube
Physical Schema – msdn.microsoft.com
Architectural pattern External links:
Is MVC a Design Pattern or Architectural pattern
MVC architectural pattern – YouTube
Beauty and the Brick: Architectural Pattern Books
Software development process External links:
During which phase of the software development process …
What is Software Development Process? – Definition …
Conceptual schema External links:
Conceptual schema Meaning – YouTube
Conceptual schema | Article about conceptual schema by …
[MC-CSDL]: Conceptual Schema Definition File Format
Watts Humphrey External links:
George Watts Humphrey Jr. – Wealth-X Dossier
G. Watts Humphrey, Jr. | America’s Best Racing
About Watts Humphrey – Software Engineering Institute
Domain of discourse External links:
Domain of discourse Meaning – YouTube
domain of discourse – Wiktionary
Unified Process External links:
When should we use Rational Unified Process? – Quora
What is Rational Unified Process (RUP)? Webopedia …
The Four Phases | Overview of the Unified Process | InformIT
Programming paradigm External links:
Functional Programming Paradigm Demystified (Core …
What programming paradigm does MATLAB follow? – …
Database model External links:
What is a Database Model | Lucidchart
DR Database Model – Application:ADM – meditech.com
Function model External links:
[PDF]360 Thinking: An Executive Function Model and …
RapidIO Bus Function Model | BFM User Group
Niklaus Wirth External links:
Niklaus Wirth – Department of Computer Science | ETH Zurich
Niklaus Wirth on Teaching Computer Science – YouTube
Niklaus Wirth Quotes – BrainyQuote
Relational Model External links:
ER Model to Relational Model – tutorialspoint.com
Relational Model of Change – Jody Hoffer Gittell
Tool for creating relational model diagrams – Stack Overflow
Relational Model/Tasmania External links:
Relational Model/Tasmania (RM/T) was published by Edgar F. Codd in 1979 and is the name given to a number of extensions to his original relational model (RM) published in 1970. The overall goal of the RM/T was to define some fundamental semantic units, at “atomic” and “molecular” levels, for data modelling.
Relational Model/Tasmania – Revolvy
Spiral model External links:
Spiral Model : Advantages and Disadvantages ~ I …
Boehm’s Spiral Model Flashcards | Quizlet
Agile software development External links:
What is Agile Software Development? | Agile Alliance
8 Benefits of Agile Software Development | Segue …
What is Agile? Learn About Agile Software Development
Requirements engineering External links:
Requirements engineering (Book, 1996) [WorldCat.org]
Requirements Engineering – Springer
Requirements Engineering for Survivable Systems. …
Enterprise modelling External links:
What is ENTERPRISE MODELLING? What does …
Enterprise Modelling and Information Systems …
Nemo 2018 – Next-Generation Enterprise Modelling
Data Vault Modeling External links:
Data Vault Modeling and Snowflake | Snowflake
Data Vault Modeling Methodology Jobs, Employment | Indeed.com